Jelly Roll Rug Class
February 9, 2019
10 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Instructor Phyllis Hamilton
Make this fun rug with one Jelly Roll and precut batting! Come make a rug to match any decor in your home. It's easy and a lot of fun. Size is approximately 30" x 44".
Jelly-Roll Rug Pattern
(1) Jelly Roll containing 40-42 2.5" x 42" Strips
Batting: (1) 50 yd Roll of Katahdin by Bosal, or (2) 25 yd Rolls Of Katahdin by Bosal, or 1.25 yds of 100% Cotton Batting 96" wide cut into (17) 2.25" or 2.5" x 96" strips
Batting Seam Tape - Needed if you're using the 25 yd rolls or cutting your own batting
Size 14-18 Jeans Sewing Machine Needles
(1) large spool of 50wt thread at least 1200 yds to blend or contrast with your fabrics. Aurifil works great.
Mary Ellen's Best Press
Ruler at least 6”
Sewing machine in good working order. Your machine will need to make at least a 5mm wide zig-zag stitch. Be sure you have a plate that allows for the zig-zag stitch.
Sewing machine manual
Extension table for your sewing machine if you have one
Before Class: This needs to be done so we can spend our time having fun making the rug.
- Wind 3-5 bobbins in the same color you're using on top of your rug
- Decide how you would like to arrange the strips in your rug. Consider what color you want in the center of the rug, and what color your outside will be. Sometimes the way the manufacturer arranges the strips in the package works just fine.
- Sew your 2.5" fabric strips together sewing each strip at a right (90 degree) angle, not end-to-end. Trim your seam to ¼” and press open.